Friday, May 9, 2008

Uneasy, Tiger

I'm getting really fed up with my job.

How do people get the idea that they can insult and abuse someone just because they wear a uniform and stand behind a counter? Why should that make them less than human? Just today, this woman told a girl I work with she was too stupid to run a cash register, just over some menial misunderstanding. For reference, the girl she insulted is in her third year of college, with a good GPA. Why does working at a drugstore make someone less intelligent than someone else?

The worst thing is that you can't even say anything about it. You have to coddle these jackasses, and just let them say whatever they like, and agree with them, and apologize, so they won't take their money elsewhere. An irrational bigot is more important to a company than a loyal employee.

I'm just venting, I guess. Where I work, the past week or so has just been a parade of self-absorbed products of the service culture, and it's wearing me down. I just feel like any raging dick off the street who had his head far enough up his ass could up and get me fired, even without a good reason, regardless of the quality of my performance at my job.

I need to get out of this. I want to travel. I want to go to school. I want to grow as a human being, in knowledge and experience. And if I stay in my current job, I'll just keep getting put on the schedule, week after week, until I'm too old to care anymore.

I need a radical change.

No comments: