Sunday, May 20, 2007

An apology, of sorts:

I've realized that I really only write in this forum when I'm depressed; and of all times for me to speak, those gray hours are the least wise. I honestly think I may have some clinical disorder, perhaps a mild form of bipolar disorder -- ever since my parents got divorced when I was ten years old, I just have these phases when I can't be anything but miserable. It's gotten better over the years; where my depressive phases used to last for weeks at a time with a few good days between, they're usually only two or three days now, and I'm pretty even most of the time.

But that's beside the point, which is that I get depressed and write miserable things, and I shouldn't do that, I'm going to try to stop.

I've always been aware that I'm something of a cynic. And I don't think that will ever change -- I really don't see myself ever believing that the world is half as good as it is evil. But certain newer friends of mine are making my negativity more apparent and somewhat repulsive to me, so I'm trying to curb that. I want to be less opinionated about popular culture (even though that will probably mean talking about it less -- at least for a while), and grammar, and all the other little things that bug me. I don't want to have this need to be right anymore. I just have to find the line between objective, concrete truth and personal opinion. And then stop being a dick to people who don't agree with me on the latter.

Except in the case of people who like Justin Timberlake. Because seriously, screw that guy.

So I guess this is sort of an apology, for being bitter and depressed. Suffer no delusion that it's over; but I'm trying.

No comments: